Sunday, July 19, 2009

State of Design Festival 2009


Russell Place Substation, interior


Recently, I got up early to view the Russell Place Substation as part of Melbourne Open House 2009. So popular was this working sub station that the queue reached around the corner up Bourke St! Unfortunately I didn't have the time to wait around and see it as I wanted to attend other events that are part of the current State of Design Festival. Must get there earlier next year!




Instead, I high tailed it to This Is Not A Design Market with the lovely Krista McRae (fellow jeweller and member of the Pieces of Eight Workshop) which was a great day out! Bigger Than Ten Bears and Moth Design collaborated to turn this empty dormant factory into a lively design market for one day only. During the same week, I also was able to attend Design:Made:Trade at the Exhibition Buildings and the Design Boom Mart 2009. All these events profiled some great designers working in broad disciplines from textiles to furniture and products to books.

Some highlights from these events: Furniture and lighting by Alex Earl who I first met when we studied NEIS years ago. I bought a great poncho/shrug from a very cute Japanese lady from Perth who's label is called Bonito. Her website is super kawaii! Oh and I couldn't resist the cards from Able and Game, check out their blog to see why... They even had the perfect card for my currently zombie obsessed husband (a side effect from quiting smoking I think!). Beautiful calenders and printed designed goods from The Foundry from whom I bought a 2010 calender and coveted the gorgeous Japanese books they import. I bought some great leggings, including an electric blue pair, from OK-OK who had a great stand. Check out their shop in Brunswick where they have created a thoughtful fit-out in a small space.



Card by Able and Game



Products from The Foundry

As a side note, Pieces of Eight will be moving to Little Hero Building early next year which is set to be built above the Russell Place Substation- a reason for me wanting to visit this subterranean space. Also, we will most likely be part of the next This Is Not A Design Market later in the year, stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment